Saturday, September 3, 2011

Les Miserables


Les Miserables is a novel that has been made into a musical by Claude-Michel Schönberg. It is widely known and very famous. My piano/singing teacher, Bev, has given me two songs from this amazing musical to learn. I'm currently learning to sing "I Dreamed a Dream" and "On My Own." The latter grabs your heart straight away and I loved it. The first time I heard it was at one of Bev's concerts, where she has all her students come and play instruments or sing, and her friends who are teachers also have their students come to play instruments or sing. When that particular girl opened her voice I was immediately mesmerised.  Then when I heard it on the CD, Bev gave me I was addicted. Broadway has such a high standard for singing. When they sing, their voices act their lines out at the same time and the result is phenomenal. Now, when lovely Susan Boyle sang "I Dreamed a Dream" on Britain's Got Talent two years ago, I'm ashamed to say I didn't watch the entire video. I thought she was good, but that it was very operatic. But I've had that song on constant repeat the last few weeks and now I'm in love with it (it probably helps that I'm learning to sing it too). Anyway, I watched Susan singing this beautiful song a week back and now I see what they were all marvelling at. I know, I know. It's a wee bit late to have Susan Boyle fever, and I don't. I just love she sang that song so effortlessly. She's an amazing singer and it shows you can't judge a book by its cover - not that I didn't like at her at first sight.

If you wish to see her epic vocal solo, click the link below.
Susan Boyle astonishing the world with her amazing voice. 
Oh and watch Simon's reaction - it's like he's falling in love. :D

And because I'm lovely and nice, here's a broadway version.

Here is the link to listen to "On My Own."

Lea Solango shows off her voice. :D

Lea Solango - she's so pretty isn't see? (:  

Now most of you recognise Lea Solango's voice for she voices two disney princesses - Mulan and Jasmine. And she does a bloody good job of it too. Check out her wikipedia page and all the awards she has won. 

So by now all of you guys should know how desperately in love I am with all musicals. I just love to sing! However, I don't really like singing at church. Yes, I know I'm such a good Christian. :D But I don't really enjoy it sometimes. Anyway, back to musicals, some of my favourites would have to be High School Musical, The Little Mermaid, The Sound of Music, Annie and now Les Miserables. I haven't seen Les  Miserables by the way. I have just breifly read the plot line that's all. (Maybe I see if the book is at my library?) But my dream is to watch it one day in New York. I can't dream to be a Eponine or Fantine because I don't believe I could one day sing on broadway. It happened to Nick Jonas, but that's him. He's famous, and I'm just another girl


No comments:

Post a Comment