Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: Going Too Far - Jennifer Echols


Title: Going Too Far
Author: Jennifer Echols
Rating: 3.5
Pages: 245
Form: PDF

Summary:
All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far…and almost doesn’t make it back.
John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won’t soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won’t be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge — and over….
Review: 
I thought 'Going Too Far' was a very choppy, sloppily tied-together romance book with a too-fast ending. This is the first time I have read a book by Jennifer Echols and I simply hated it, well maybe hate is a strong word for this book so we'll settle with dislike shall we? A tiny, winy part of me liked this book. The beginning chapter pulled me in and then promptly lost me, which in turn meant I didn't have the initiative to continue. The spark was lost and I began to believe that I was blinded to think that this heavily hyped-up book had a spark in the first place.. I think the worst compliment you can give an author is this: 'A beautiful story line, that could have been absolutely perfect, but utterly failed to reach it's mark.'
With 245 pages, it made for a very quick and easy read. The only time I was ecstatic came when I flipped to the last page of the book. The last sentence, I know will stay with me for the rest of my life. 
I smiled and waved at him and mouthed, "Welcome home.''
He put his hand to his eyes. He knew I was finally cured.
Character development always plays a very important role in any book, and Echols let me down again in this department. It's too quick for John and Meg to quickly turn around and fix their brokenness. I felt like she was literally rushing through the book and at times I felt like skipping chapters. Not good. However, there were several page-turning-have-to-keep-on-reading bits in this novel.  Despite that, I felt rather sorbid, I expected this amazing book and I was surprised that the author did not realized the potential of this story. She could have did amazing things with this book, but she didn't. Some of the dialogue made me want to crawl my fingers on a chalkboard, and the thoughts that Meg had sometimes were quite repetitive that I found myself saying, "God, this is crap."
So, should you read this book? Well Gwen Hayes once said when asked about advice for aspiring authors, "Read anything. Badly written books, greatly written books. Don't ever stop." (Paraphrased)
The grammar wasn't atrocious, and apart from how Jennifer Echols totally wrecked this book by rushing after an invisible train(going too fast, too quickly), imagining the worst dialogues, and the narratian being quite off-putting please pick up the bloody book and read it.


If there's one thing that should attract you to this novel, it's the name for the hero, Johnafter. John to his friends and Meg, and Officer After when he's on police duty. SWOON.
After all what do I know right? I'm Just Another Girl that's entirely too fussy about plot,  character development, dialogue, and time management in a book all of which  did not happen very well at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment