Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: You Don't Have To Say You Love - Sarra Manning


Sweet, bookish Neve Slater always plays by the rules. And the number one rule is that good-natured fat girls like her don’t get guys like gorgeous, handsome William, heir to Neve’s heart since university. But William’s been in LA for three years, and Neve’s been slimming down and re-inventing herself so that when he returns, he’ll fall head over heels in love with the new, improved her.
So she’s not that interested in other men. Until her sister Celia points out that if Neve wants William to think she’s an experienced love-goddess and not the fumbling, awkward girl he left behind, then she’d better get some, well, experience.
What Neve needs is someone to show her the ropes, someone like Celia’s colleague Max. Wicked, shallow, sexy Max. And since he’s such a man-slut, and so not Neve’s type, she certainly won’t fall for him. Because William is the man for her… right?
Somewhere between losing weight and losing her inhibitions, Neve’s lost her heart – but to who?
Before I begin, I should say that I adore Sarra Manning, the way she writes is very spell-binding, although her prose is not pitch perfect. I fell in love with her books since I read the incredible trilogy 'Diary of a Crush' which has now become my all-time favourite book series. Sarra Manning knows how to spin a really, good story, but I always thought she was not that fantastic of a writer. Now, don't get me wrong, she's good bloody good, but her prose is not perfect. You will see lots of mistakes in her young adult fiction so it was with wariness and expectedness that I approached this book. There wasn't a mistake there that I noticed, so her editor must have really upped it for the adult world. (This is an adult book, so you have been fairly warned.) After reading the above description, I was so psyched to read it, that I couldn't wait for the library to up my reserve standing to number one, so I searched the entire internet and finally found it. The very first line drew me in, and from then on I was addicted. I disagree with reviewers to say that you have to read at least 1/3 to 2/3 of the way in before you get engrossed or the story line moves on. Many people hate how Neve rants constantly about her body and how fat she perceives herself to be. Maybe it's because I've gone through a lot of health issues in the past three years but I could so relate to Neve. I've never been her size, but oh her agony was felt and sympathized by me. Yes, at time it annoyed me, but don't you think it would annoy Neve too? She had to live with it, she had to fight it, she had to change her mind pattern and she won.  OH YEAH! 

Every reader of this books cherishes this lone paragraph from one of the end chapters.

It wasn't a perfect body but it was the body she deserved. 
Not just from every bar of chocolate or bag of crisps or laden
plates of food that she'd eaten. This body was also testament
to all the hours in the gym, and cycling up hills on her bike
and glugging down to litres of water a day and learning to
love vegetables and fruit that didn't come as an optional
extra with a pastry crust. She'd earned this body. 
I eagerly devoured this book, and then I took a break. I hate the hill one climbs after you read the climax. You don't know where or how it's going to end, and you really, really want to take a sneak peak at the end of the book. So I did, and then I waited some more, and then I finished it. It was incredible. Just like all of Sarra Manning's books I should add. I absolutely adored Max, you could tell just how much he loved Neve that it didn't have to be said. Now, since my brain is a bit thick, it took me a while to figure out that this title is actually a name of a song. DUH! Should have probably clicked when the librarian (I read 2/3 on the computer the rest I finished in the borrowed book) started singing this song when I check it out. It didn't. Until I was stalking Sarra's website and found out about which version she likes best of the song. It's the Dusty version if I remember correctly. On a completely random side note, I borrowed the cover with the lips on it (pictured on the right of the picture above). It is the opinion of many that book covers have to take the entire story and form it into one picture. The lips cover does it perfectly, the petals poorly. In fact the petals sort of softens the whole book, and makes one imagine a total different scenario than the one that does take place. 

Rating: As far as rating goes, I'm giving it a 5/5, because I would definitely read this book again sometime in the near future. 

It's the newest book that has come out from Sarra and it hits the mark perfectly. She's nailed it again people, after all I should know, I'm Just Another Girl  who loves reading chick lit.

No comments:

Post a Comment