Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review: Die For Me - Amy Plum


Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Rating: 6/10
Pages: 100 pages (very tiny print on size A4 papers)
Form: PDF 


When Kate Mercier’s parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life—and memories—behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate’s guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he’s a revenant—an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.
In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.
- Taken from Amy Plum's website.
Review:
Amy Plum's debut novel, 'Die For Me' is a lovely, paranormal story for the young adult genre. The front cover drew me in first, it's simply enchanting.  'Die For Me' was amazing from the get go and literally had me on the edge of my seat, it's extremely intriguing. Kate and Vincent's love story was enchanting as it was set in Paris. Vincent was gorgeous, mysterious and French, what more could you want? Kate, on the other hand was a very interesting heroine. She was quite spell-binding at times and at other times she was a tad frustrating. The pace of the book itself was quite fast. I did not like that. I think it would have been better at a slower pace. I found it a bit fast. All of a sudden she went from, "Ohh, he's cute" to "I like him" then to "I love him." The time frame was desperately fast and it could have done without it. 
As soon as I finished the book (I finished it in one sitting), my first thought was this, " 'Die For Me' is 'Twilight' but written in a much better prose style with a weak story line." Now don't get me wrong, the entire store was gripping but there were was lots of parts that let me down. The romance was good, I loved how they met, it was very intriguing. I hated the ending, and I hated the climax, it was good but could have been better. The book seemed to be hanging on a thread of 'romance'. I felt like without the romance plot line the entire book would have sank. Plum had so much potential. I could see all of it as I read along and I didn't know the characters have as well as Amy does! Some bits made me go, "What the hell?" or "Are you serious? You seriously put that IN?" Great books shouldn't have those bits, and thus her rating is a 6/10. 
Overall, if you loved and adored 'Twilight' you will love this book despite the many flaws (her writing is flawless that is one amazing highlight though). It is the first book in the new series 'Revenants' and No. 2 will be expected May 3rd 2012. I will be looking forward to this book because even though I could see all the flaws I still loved it. Maybe it was to do with the whole French theme and the million cafes that Kate entered. Pick it up today from your local bookstore or download it for free online as it makes for a fun, quick read that will leave you romantically inclined for the rest of your evening. You won't regret it, JAG (Just Another Girl), certainly didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment