Friday, November 4, 2011

Review: Falling Under - Gwen Hayes


Title: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Rating: 9.5/10
Pages: 336
Form: Paperback (borrowed from library)


Review:
Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.
As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.
And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.
Review:
Gwen Hayes weaves a dark, twisted tale that will literally have you on the edge of your seats, you will not be able to put down the book till you have reached the last page, and once you have reached the last page you will be dying for the sequel. Gwen evoked a rich, poignant story that constantly weaves between bitter-sweet romance and the alluring word of Under. This paranormal book is very, very dark. The darkest one I have read in fact, but I love that about it. Under fascinates me and the descriptions repulsed me and drew me in at the same time. 


I could easily relate to Theia and how strict her father was and I'm so happy that her friends, Ame and Donny, were very well developed. Normally, in a paranormal(or any novel for that matter) book the focus is on the two main protagonists so it was with great delight when I found out that Gwen took great pains to develop each and everyone one of her characters in this amazing novel. Hayden - I loved him. He's hot, he's cold. He's charming in Under, he's cold in the real world. I don't think there was one thing I hated about the book. Everything was there for a reason, it was very beautifully constructed. However, the pacing started off slow, which was fantastic(I hate books that start off with a bloody bang and before you know it you're going that's it? What about this? Or that?) but as it slowly built up I felt a bit let down when it suddenly raced to the finish line. The ending was good, the entire story was good, but I think it was a bit rushed at the end. It could have been dragged out for a couple more chapters plus I felt the author could have added more depth and romance at the end.

Falling Under is one of those novels, that you won't be able to put down. It's probably a good thing I read it in the school holidays otherwise I would seriously have not any school work for a couple of days. I'm serious. I had a friend come over, and I was seriously thinking about reading this book the whole time until said friend said I could. You should have seen how I devoured that book when I had it in my hands,  and the agonizing forlornness on my face when I could not. Oh, I loved this book. Gwen Hayes, did a bloody good job and as it was my first time reading a novel by this author she wowed me away with speechlessness. It was absolutely perfect. Hayden made me swoon, I loved the romance. It was perfect for a paranormal book. Well done Hayes! Well done! Just Another Girl is officially an Underanatic (Fanatic + Under)

So when is book two coming out? SOON! It is called 'Dreaming Awake' and is coming out January 3, 2012. Here is Gwen Hayes website for those of you who want to check out this amazing author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment